The Center for Applied GIS is an interdisciplinary research center that addresses pressing global resource and sustainability concerns through analysis of human-environment interactions at multiple spatial, temporal, and decision-making scales. We resolve complex questions by integrating theory from the geospatial, natural, and social sciences coupled with advanced modeling techniques and high performance computing.
Our integrated approach - synthesizing field, laboratory, social survey and remote sensing data - allows us to pursue a range of research frontiers including:
- Complexity in coupled human-natural systems
- CyberGIS for large-scale spatiotemporal problem-solving
- Urban growth and land change dynamics
- Spatial epidemiology of emerging diseases
- Applied GIS, remote sensing, geocomputation and cyberinfrastructure
- Earth and environmental sciences applications